Summer time is upon us. The hot summer sun, blowing dust and monsoons, combined with all the stop and go traffic, will really take a toll on your vehicle. Let’s not forget too, that you probably went all winter with probably doing very little or no maintenance. Regular vehicle maintenance not only reduces potential mechanical failures, but it increases the longevity and resale value!
Here are some key things that should be checked:
- Air Conditioning- Should be inspected by a qualified technician and have the cabin air filter replaced.
- Cooling System- Should be flushed and refilled every 24 months. Never remove the radiator cap until the engine has thoroughly cooled! The condition and tightness of belts, clamps and hoses should also be checked by a professional.
- Oil- Change the oil and oil filter regularly every 3,000.
- Windshield Wipers- Replace worn wiper blades and fill windshield wiper fluid.
- Lights- Inspect all lights and bulbs and replace burned out bulbs.
- Tires- Check tire pressures once a month while they are cold. Don’t forget to check the spare as well and make sure the jack is in working order. Tires should be rotated about every 5,000 miles. Examine tires for tread life and uneven wearing which is a sign of poor alignment.
- Brakes- Should be inspected as recommended in your manual, or sooner if you notice noises, grabbing, rubbing or problems with stopping distance.
- Battery- Scrape away corrosion from posts and cable connections; clean all surfaces and re-tighten all connections. Check fluid levels on older batteries. Battery life is diminished in summer heat!
- Emergency Box- Carry some basic tools, first aid kit, flares and a flashlight for emergencies. Additional items, such as, a blanket, water, granola bars, mobile USB charger, duct tape and matches are always good to have on hand. You never know where or how long you can be stranded!
Have a work truck? Get your work truck or fleet summer ready and store all your tools and emergency items in a Fleetwest Load'N'Go service body. Made from Heavy-Duty 16 ga. Steel yet still light enough to fit in 1/2 ton trucks. Call us toll-free in the U.S. for a quote today (866) 497-7200